Cloakify Toolset - Data Exfiltration In Plain Sight; Evade DLP/MLS Devices; Social Engineering of Analysts; Defeat Data Whitelisting Controls; Evade AV Detection. Text-based steganography usings lists. Convert any file type (e.g. executables, Office, Zip, images) into a list of everyday strings. Very simple tools, powerful concept, limited only by your imagination.
Joe Gervais (TryCatchHCF)
DLP systems, MLS devices, and SecOps analysts know what data to look for:So transform that data into something they're not looking for:
Python scripts to cloak / uncloak any file type using list-based ciphers (text-based steganography). Allows you to transfer data across a secure network’s perimeter without triggering alerts, defeating data whitelisting controls, and derailing analyst’s review via social engineering attacks against their workflows. As a bonus, cloaked files defeat signature-based malware detection tools.
Cloakify first Base64-encodes the payload, then applies a cipher to generate a list of strings that encodes the Base64 payload. Once exfiltrated, use Decloakify with the same cipher to decode the payload.
Not a secure encryption scheme (vulnerable to frequency analysis attacks, use 'noiseTools' scripts to add entropy). Encrypt data separately prior to processing to keep secure (if needed).
Very small, simple, clean, portable - written in Python. Can quickly type into a target’s local shell session if needed.
Use py2exe if Windows target lacks Python. ( http://www.py2exe.org/ )
Prepackaged ciphers include lists of:
- Desserts in English, Arabic, Thai, Russian, Hindi, Chinese, Persian, and Muppet (Swedish Chef)
- IPv4 Addresses of Popular Websites
- GeoCoords World Capitals (Lat/Lon)
- PokemonGo Monsters
- MD5 Password Hashes
- World Cup Teams
- Belgian Beers
- Ski Resorts
- World Beaches
- Amphibians (scientific names)
- GeoCaching Coordinates (w/ Site Names)
- Star Trek characters
- evadeAV (smallest cipher space - x3 payload size - purely to evade AV detection)
Prepackaged scripts for adding noise / entropy to your cloaked payloads:
- prependID.py: Adds a randomized ID tag to front of each line
- prependLatLonCoords.py: Adds randomized LatLong coordinates to front of each line
- prependTimestamps.py: Adds timestamps (log file style) to front of each line
See script comments for details on how to tailor the output for your own needs
To create your own cipher
- Generate a list of at least 66 unique words / phrases / symbols (Unicode accepted)
- Randomize the list order
- Remove all duplicate entries and all blank lines
Pass the new file as the cipher argument to cloakify / decloakify
Add noise to degrade frequency analysis attacks against your cloaked payloads. Here we use the 'pokemonGo' cipher, then use the 'prependLatLonCoords.py' script to generate random geocoords in a 10x10 mile grid. (Strip noise from file before decloaking.)
Sample Cipher Gallery